HIDs?

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

izzy death
TIME OUT. NOT ACTIVE. SEE ADMIN

HIDs?

Post by izzy death »

hey sorry if this has been discussed 1000x already but im new to the forum and this is my first subaru :) i used the search but nothing really came up im looking to do an HID conversion to my 07 WRX but im a little confused about the numbers that come after the HID kits (9004, 9005, 9006, H1, H3 etc) i was curious as to what they mean? anyone have a suggestion as to what brand and whatnot i should go with?

-izzy D!
Last edited by izzy death on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

awesome... i thought this was supposed to be the best forum on the internet...
07 WRX
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

First day back from a holiday and some of us have work to do, being the end of the fiscal year and all...

Those numbers are the bulb pattern/type. Be wary when just swapping out bulbs, even if they fit. HIDs are supposed to be integrated into the correct reflector housing. A poor alignment can get you less light projected infront.

I am sad to say that with my past experiences (which are probably unique), Don Beyer will not be servicing my vahicle.

But I'll give you a yell elsewhere.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

try waiting for more than a few hours before your impatience kicks in and you start dishing out thinly veiled insults.
-Ben
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

that wasnt a thinly veiled insult i just found it odd that after 3 hours no one knew the answer i had heard a lot about this forum before i joined and i lurked it and it seemedlike everywhere here knew what they were talkin about
07 WRX
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

zaxrex wrote: Those numbers are the bulb pattern/type. Be wary when just swapping out bulbs, even if they fit. HIDs are supposed to be integrated into the correct reflector housing. A poor alignment can get you less light projected infront.
is there one that is better for a WRX?
07 WRX
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

izzy death wrote:awesome... i thought this was supposed to be the best forum on the internet...
Well then!

BTW, I've talked Herny over at Don Beyer on and off over the years, pretty cool guy to deal with :)

I'd look for a HID conversion kit... there has to be one somewhere. As Zak pointed out, even if you get the bulb in there, there is a change that it will not be aligned correctly and will actually give you less light :/
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

yeah ive found some i need to find my book to find out what bulb type i need but window tint is first on my list o mods

thanks for the help
07 WRX
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

izzy death wrote:awesome... i thought this was supposed to be the best forum on the internet...
finely crafted responses and/or funny cat photos take time...
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

izzy death wrote:yeah ive found some i need to find my book to find out what bulb type i need but window tint is first on my list o mods

thanks for the help
Sounds like a prime candidate for Winners Tinting! You going to go there, or do you have another hook-up?

I'm an old school WRX guy and I have 9007s on mine. I don't know if they have switched over or not to another style.

this page, http://www.brandsport.com/lilibusebe.html, has some fair pics to show you the physical difference. Make sure that you ballasts are matched to the current and voltage of your HID bulbs thoug. It would suck to blow a bulb or start a fire.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Another fine resource for all your lighting questions is Mr. Daniel Stern:

Link-a-roony

I have to admit that I haven't searched his site for HID info but there's a wealth of info on automotive lighting in general as well as differences in regulations between the U.S. and Europe, etc.

If you want to make an informed decision on headlights for your car, I would highly advise you take the time to read through his site. When I had projector beams on my car I used his instructions on beam adjustments to get the best alignment - to great effect!

For example, here's a listing of all the different bulb types - click me.

I've now spent the last minute clicking a few links and found this. An excerpt:
Daniel Stern article wrote:Can I convert my halogen headlamps to HID?

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb, for between $150 and $600. STOP, put away that credit card. Trying to "convert" halogen headlamps to HID is an unsafe thing to do. There are NO legitimate or safe HID bulb retrofits for halogen headlamps. Here's why.
--Alan
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

zaxrex wrote:
izzy death wrote:yeah ive found some i need to find my book to find out what bulb type i need but window tint is first on my list o mods

thanks for the help
Sounds like a prime candidate for Winners Tinting! You going to go there, or do you have another hook-up?

I'm an old school WRX guy and I have 9007s on mine. I don't know if they have switched over or not to another style.

this page, http://www.brandsport.com/lilibusebe.html, has some fair pics to show you the physical difference. Make sure that you ballasts are matched to the current and voltage of your HID bulbs thoug. It would suck to blow a bulb or start a fire.
nah id rather not drive to MD i hate driving in MD and DC...
07 WRX
chicken n waffles

the drive to winners' rockville office really isn't that bad. plus they do great work, and dcawd members get a discount.

:shrug:
-Ben
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

its still driving to MD i dont have the time after work cuz i dont feel like sittin in traffic for 78 hours nor do i have any free time on the weekends

back on topic tho i found this one kit i think im gonna get its from xenondepot.com its a 4300K H7 HID conversion kit anyone have any experience with it?
07 WRX
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

izzy death wrote:its still driving to MD i dont have the time after work cuz i dont feel like sittin in traffic for 78 hours nor do i have any free time on the weekends

Then don't get a tint from Winners, but that's who most of us have been happy with. I tried to schedule with them before I moved here to Texas, but ran out of time at the last minute.
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

^ i never said i was...
07 WRX
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

This has already been responded to many times so I'll try to be brief.

There are many options available for HID's, either as a retro-fit or converting to STi housings/ballasts/wiring.

The short answer - retro-fit kits do not produce light the same way that your halogen bulbs do and your headlight housings are not meant to handle/aim HID style lighting. You can also check out a blurb at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry on headlights.

If you want to do it right, get STi housings and the related hardware. If you want a sub-optimal solution, check out ebay.

Do keep in mind, there are a vast wealth of opinions and examples over at Nasioc. The issues you are asking about have been answered before. A quick search there should help you make a more informed decision. Matter of fact, the FAQ section of electrical and lighting over at nasioc covers all arguments for and against HIDs.

And if you are genuinely interested in responses delivered in an adult, polite, timely and informed manner - I'd lay off the insults. I promise that almost every single regular contributor here would be more than willing to help with almost any Suby related issue you might happen to come across, provided you project the same amount of respect you expect to receive. A three hour span before slamming the boards? Not so cool. Ever heard the old adage "You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar?" The theory is alive and well here.

Yes this was posted the night after a holiday weekend. Yes we've had power issues preventing the forums from staying available during this same time period. Hell, Julian (Sabre) even took time off of work to replace the UPS and make sure that the forums were available to everyone. Why? Because he cares about the site, the members, the knowledge and the comradery shared here.

My overall points: Be a little more patient with us, we are doing much more work than you might be privy to. Please don't insult the boards (or any members for that matter.)And stay away from retro-fit HIDs.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

i admited before that i wasnt trying to insult the board i guess yall have just been over hyped and i expected too much

ill just find a different forum to go to since yall seem to be too sensitive to a comment like that LOL its just the internet no need to cry about it
07 WRX
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

LOL after all the help you're still being a smacktard? Don't let the tubes hit you on the way out of our internets.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

nice choice of words "smacktard" whatre you like 6 years old? get a grip on life moron
07 WRX
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

izzy death wrote:^ i never said i was...

You never said you were what? I'm not getting what you're saying.
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

i never said i was going to winners i know a place thats closer to me
07 WRX
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

izzy death wrote:i never said i was going to winners i know a place thats closer to me
I never said you were either... someone suggested Winners if you are looking for a place to get tinted. "Hate" is a strong word. Even though it wasn't directed at anyone, it puts a tone into your post.
izzy death

Post by izzy death »

yeah... the tone that i despise driving in MD and DC...
07 WRX
chicken n waffles

then i guess you'll just have to find a place on your own in virginia
-Ben