Stealthy upgraded stock system

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Stealthy upgraded stock system

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, I like my stock XT system w/ it's subaru premium system w/ 6 disk in-dash changer, WB and built in subwoofer in the rear but there is plenty of room for improvement. I was thinking of upgrading everything but the headunit and keep that for stealth look to thwart thieves. Thinking of using one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FGMfSxgZiN ... T&g=168450

Wondering how much power I can safely run to speakers and a sub on the stock alternator?

Thinking probably have 50W RMS to front components and rear speakers, 150W-200W RMS to the 8" sub. I think this should be fine on the stock alternator, correct? Probably upgrade the battery from stock to a redtop...possibly grap a .5 farad cap for the sub. I know Colin can help me on this one.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

stock alternator is good up until you start doing SPL competitions. and you won't need a capacitor either. :wink: they're cool but just bling on a non-show system.

i understand not wanting to change the head unit, but that's one of the best areas for improvement with our cars.

that RF signal processor sounds cool but over priced to me. but I am a cheap bastard. :lol:

I personally am a fan of a single 10" sub setup. they can put out a LOT more sound than an 8" but don't take up near the room of a 12". but that's personal preference and sound quality depends on a lot of factors other than just speaker size.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Two thoughts:

a) The sound is only as good as it's weakest link - in this case the stock headunit. There are zero OEM components that can match even the bottom rung aftermarket equipment. Period. That being said, if you're happy with the fidelity of the stock head unit (S/N ratio, freq response, etc) - keep on planning your system.

b) You shouldn't need a cap just yet, unless you notice dimming of lights and such at low speeds/stoplights. The actual output wattage (RMS or peak) depends on many different factors (input signal level, gain levels, input voltage levels, etc) to the point that you will very rarely be using the majority of the amplifier's (potential) output.

50W RMS is plenty for almost all component speakers, and the wattage to a decent 8" sub is fine as well. I wouldn't worry about a cap until after you have the system in and working. keep in mind, each component you add is a chance to induce a ground loop, or cause other resistance issues.

One of these days I'll actually get around to building something for my car... been waaay to lazy about it. :(
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:stock alternator is good up until you start doing SPL competitions. and you won't need a capacitor either. :wink: they're cool but just bling on a non-show system.

i understand not wanting to change the head unit, but that's one of the best areas for improvement with our cars.

that RF signal processor sounds cool but over priced to me. but I am a cheap bastard. :lol:

I personally am a fan of a single 10" sub setup. they can put out a LOT more sound than an 8" but don't take up near the room of a 12". but that's personal preference and sound quality depends on a lot of factors other than just speaker size.
Believe me I would rather have 2 8" subs or 1 10" but I have a built in 8" sub in my trunk wall so I can only upgrade it to another 8".

I have one 8" Polk/Momo sub in a custom mounted/made box in my old Maxima its got 150WRMS and it is working in conjuncture w/ 4 Polk surround speakers running off my alpine head unit which are only getting 18WRMS. I adjusted the gain on the amp to balance out the subwoofer and adjusted the crossover frequencies in the headunit for the surrounds...it sounds pretty decent...1000% better than the stock system.

I was also thinking of getting a double din Eclipse DVD navigation unit but that is pretty darn pricey.

I was thinking of stealing my amp and sub from the maxima to throw in my XT. Basically all I would be buying is front components, rear coaxials, 4 channel amp and the sound processor.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Pioneer makes a great double-din nav system... I have one, it rawkzorz my boxxorz. 8)

find it here.

and it's ab00t half teh cost of the j00r eclipse....
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Steve has a Pioneer D2 as well.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:Steve has a Pioneer D2 as well.
I thought Steve-O got teh Z1 with the hard drive and bluetooth and all that mess, no?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

nope. D2. he has the XM with TrafficNav but that's the only difference between his Pioneer and yours. oh, and no Mac Mini :wink:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

oops, my bad. :oops:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:Pioneer makes a great double-din nav system... I have one, it rawkzorz my boxxorz. 8)

find it here.

and it's ab00t half teh cost of the j00r eclipse....
Actually, I was looking at THIS ECLIPSE MODEL which is only $500 more but has the ESN that will help deter the thievery.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

ESN will stop thieves from enjoying your navi but it won't stop them from stealing it in the first place...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:ESN will stop thieves from enjoying your navi but it won't stop them from stealing it in the first place...
truth.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:ESN will stop thieves from enjoying your navi but it won't stop them from stealing it in the first place...
Yeah, but hopefully they will know it and realize that the unit is useless when removed. More theft deterring than the others out there. I wish alpine still made a single din flip up unit w/ detachable face. :(