Pinch My Ride

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Pinch My Ride

Post by Mr Kleen »

Ignition keys equipped with signal-emitting chips were supposed to put car thieves out of business. No such luck – but try telling that to your insurance company.
Last summer Emad Wassef walked out of a Target store in Orange County, California, to find a big space where his 2003 Lincoln Navigator had been. The 38-year-old truck driver and former reserve Los Angeles police officer did what anyone would do: He reported the theft to the cops and called his insurance company.

Two weeks later, the black SUV turned up near the Mexico border, minus its stereo, airbags, DVD player, and door panels. Wassef assumed he had a straightforward claim for around $25,000. His insurer, Chicago-based Unitrin Direct, disagreed.

Wassef’s Navigator, like half of all late-model domestic cars on the road today, is equipped with a transponder antitheft system: The ignition key is embedded with a tiny computer chip that sends a unique radio signal to the vehicle’s onboard computer. Without the signal, the car won’t start. And Wassef still had both of his keys.

The insurance company sent a forensic examiner to check out the disemboweled SUV in an impound lot. The ignition lock, mounted on the steering column, had been forcibly rotated, probably with a screwdriver. The locking lug on the steering wheel, which keeps it from being turned when the truck is not in gear, had also been damaged. But the transponder system was intact. The car could have been shifted and steered, the investigator concluded, but the engine couldn’t have been turned on. “Since you reportedly can account for all the vehicle keys, the forensic information suggests that the loss did not occur as reported,” the company wrote to Wassef, denying his claim. The barely hidden subtext: Wassef was lying.
full WIRED article HERE
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

:shock: :shock:

I really hate insurance companies!! :evil:

--Alan
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

WRXWagon2112 wrote::shock: :shock:

I really hate insurance companies!! :evil:

--Alan
Don't even get me started!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

hard to tell, i could see a thief making a copy of the key while at service (dealer lot-boy anyone?) and then making it look like forced entry...

but i could also see someone not wanting to pay off such an expensive car and trashing it, ditching it somewhere near mexico...

touch call.

hrmph...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

complacent wrote:hard to tell, i could see a thief making a copy of the key while at service (dealer lot-boy anyone?) and then making it look like forced entry...

but i could also see someone not wanting to pay off such an expensive car and trashing it, ditching it somewhere near mexico...

touch call.

hrmph...
did you read the full article? insurance companies are denying claims based on these new theft deterrent systems that are, in fact, easily defeatable. figures that they name Geico and Esurance by name...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

nope, just read the little snippet you posted :oops: busy day here...

(in which case ins companies can go suck it)

<---fighting with ins comp right now. grrr.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh wow, I'm very suprised by this. Insurance companies are out for one thing, themselves... so it's not really a suprise to see/hear this.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

"like half of all late-model domestic cars on the road today"

Why I drive an unintelligent import. No-one wants to steal it and if they did, it'd be very easy to prove. Of course, I also have an awesome insurance company, so that helps.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Insurance is one of the biggest "accepted" scams known to modern man. :evil:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

especially since our government requires us.. :evil:

the incredible amounts of cash we waste... just imagine if you could put those thousands you spend every year for your STi insurance into your own "insurance" savings fund.