Rules and Regulations for meets/events

All about DCAWD Meets

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Rules and Regulations for meets/events

Post by Sabre »

Please take the time to read this, or print it out for future reading.

DCAWD has been growing and growing and as such is starting to have growing pains, one of them being the caravanning from our meets to the resturant/event. Jason and I discussed it at length and felt the following rules would help keep everyone safe. We enjoy getting together as a group, we do not want to give anyone a reason to stop us.

Caravanning if done right can be a lot of fun. There is nothing like watching 30+ cars doing synchronized driving! People have to realize that caravanning is a different then normal driving and most people have little experience on how to do it well. I have seen the effects of stupid drivers and don't want any of us to end up in the hospital or on the side of the trying to explain your way out of a ticket.

We've put together these rules & procedures, not just to avoid tickets, but for everybody's safety. Anybody who fails to follow the rules & procedures, won't be welcome in the club, period. I do NOT want to explain to anyone's wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend how somebody was passing him/her and messed up and spun him/her into the guardrail!

IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO ME?
If you drive past your skill level you can and will get hurt and possibly hurt someone else. Don't believe me, please read here Keefe has a significant amount of seat time on the track and with AutoX, if this can happen on the track, imagine what can happen on the street with a pack of cars around you!

PRE-FLIGHT CHECK
Before getting in your cars talk to someone who has been to the resturant/event that we are going to and ask them if you can follow them. We put signs on the "leading" cars that are headed to the resturant/event. Take off before this and you might as well keep going, nobody is going to drive with you.

DIRECTIONS
If you don't know how to get to the place in question, Jason or I can give you printed directions.

WALKIE TALKIES & BUDDIES
Get yourself a FRS radio! You'll thank yourself after getting one. Those that don't have a radio should follow one of the leaders and they (90% of the time) have one! If for any reason you encounter a problem: out of gas, caravan going to fast for you in the rain, etc., get your buddies attention by flashing your headlights quickly twice. He'll radio everybody else to possibly slow the caravan down, exit for gas, etc.

LANE CHANGES
Use your blinkers, they were put on the car for a reason! Do NOT make abrupt lane changes! Having 30+ cars change lanes at the same time WILL scare people and possibly cause them to freak and possibly even cause collisions. Lane changes done incorrectly will only attract attention to your caravan and get you pulled over.

LEAD & TRAILER CARS
Assigned lead and trailer cars have signs on the back of them. They will be giving instructions out to people about cops spotted, cars coming up fast from behind, directions, etc. Think of them as safety officers and listen to them. We ask that you try to stay between them. Because of traffic, etc. it may not always be possible.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
When following in a pack, it is nice to all be in a row - a few car lengths apart, traveling at a "safe" speed for the weather, and traffic conditions. REALIZE that people will cut into the pack, slow it down, and mix it up. Don't get mad, don't get revenge, just give people room to move around.

When traveling with a caravan it is critical to travel the speed of traffic. In the DC area this varies from 0mph to 15mph over the limit. The lead cars will set the pace, and the pace will be set by traffic and weather conditions. Try to stay NO CLOSER then 4 or 5 car lengths behind people, and STAY ALERT. The last thing we want is a 10 sports car pile-up.

You may feel comfortable driving 90MPH down the highway passing other cars on the right etc. but REMEMBER - You are with a group of people. If you drive like a moron you will only encourage the guy behind you to do the same. Set an example and drive safe.

How you drive when you are not caravanning is your own business. However, when you are caravanning with the DCAWD, you WILL follow these rules and procedures or you won't be part of the DCAWD.[/url]
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.