Weekend at the track

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Weekend at the track

Post by spazegun2213 »

WOW, i cannot express in words how much fun i had this weekend. I went up to Putnam park for the mustang club of indianapolis' weekend. The event was nice and small, less than 30 cars over all. Here is a breif summary of my weekend:

Day 1:
I woke up ass early to get there for the 8:00am drivers meeting, and during i proclaimed myself a beginner and got an "extra" session. We were only allowed to pass on the front stright and by wave-by only. There were two instructors which were really cool. After the meeting i went outside and a real shelby gt350 in track trim caught my eyes. I talked to the guy and he offered for me to ride along.... I didnt say no. OMG! you need to be a haus to drive a car like that!! Either way, after that i sprinted back to my car to get to the grid. The first 2 sessions were me learning the car and the track, and by the time i learned how to conrtol the gas i wanted an instructor to come with me. The Frist few laps were great, and then on coner 9, my front tires lost traction, i corrected, the rears lost it, the front came back and off i went into the grass sideways. When i looked up i noticed another stang lose it behind me. Coolant is a slippery liquid!!! Later i rode with the a red vett (c4) and the guy had raced that car on this track for 13 years!!! so he knew the fastest line, hopping curbs, braking late, and getting me a little sick. Anyone 6'2" with a helmet CANNOT fit in that car, i think i left a mark on his roof! The end of day one i figured out the gas part of the track, lapping the beginners like it was my job.

Day 2:
PICTURES
So today i decided i had an ok line and i wanted to work on the braking becuase everytime i went in hot the day before there was a lot the brembos still had. So first round of the day it was still damp, and the potenzas sucked. After lunch it was sunny and the track was dry, prefect weather. I rode with the guy in the focus and noticed that he braking SO late. I asked and he had raced years ago, and eas getting back into it. He was good, he kept the focus from understeering. After that was my breaking session. Braking at 120 (turn 1) is a little hairy!! But every turn the brembos did their jobs, without hesitation or fade (go SS brake lines!). The last run of the day i was hauling!! i was taking good lines, using the curbs and working the gas and brakes well. I was even denided passing a track preped stang (in pictures, the none GT350H). I decided to get on him (probably not the smartest thing) but going into turn 4 i was at a safe distance and he lost it!!! Too much speed and its a slight uphill. Later comming out of turn 7 i lost my header head sheild, which scared the shit out of me! After i pitted, and it was retreived i went back out. 2 laps later i was hitting the fuel cut on the stright (in 5th 120~ is about it) so i decided i was tired and called it a day.

Over all, I'm addicted, the STi while blindingly fast in a stright line was NEVER ment to go strignt!! The AWD destroys the turns (and bridgestones) and its VERY forgiving!. The potenzans are all balled up and the left front looks like shit! Either way, come summer (If I'm in DC) I'll be doing FATT's and spending as much time on the track as i can.

PS: If anyone can get those pictures I'd be greatful ;)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

glad to hear you had a great track experience. I've been to Putnam with a friend for a motorcycle track day. I was along to help and I don't ride so I never got out on the track, but it's a great little track. everybody at the facility was extra nice and very professional.

there is NO substitute for a track day. everybody who even thinks they like to drive a car fast should go to at least one.

I'm trying to get everybody interested in signing up for a NASA HPDE this spring. if you're in the area then...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hey Ross,
Glad to hear you had a good time! It sounds like you met some nice track vetrans! I've been meaning to make it out to a FATT day, but still have yet to do it :( Hopefully in the spring my car and I will be ready ;)

MrKleen, I think we're definitely going to take over a FATT sometime in the future....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I haven't been to a FATT but I'm really looking at attending another NASA HPDE event. it's TWO days at the track with instructors and lots of racing in between sessions.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

There is a FATT nov ~19th that if i can find a helmet I'll go too....

Anyone have one?

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I have one :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sabre wrote:I have one :)
oh oh what size? XL is what seems to fit.

Gone But not forgotten
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sorry, my heads not that big, try ElZorro.... :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sabre wrote:Sorry, my heads not that big, try ElZorro.... :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:
pffft, yours just looks big ;) but Jason, if you have one that would be great, if not i really do need to get one.

Gone But not forgotten
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I have an open faced XL, that may or may not be enough, the track may require a closed face helmet. More than welcome to borrow it, if I can find it.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

didn't SCCA start requiring open face helmets when driving a car with an airbag?

if you're addicted to track days, you should invest in a helmet. I paid less than $200 for my BELL. it was worth it to not have to wear a loaner helmet in July at Summit Point. and I hope to put it to more use this spring. :twisted:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Mr Kleen wrote:didn't SCCA start requiring open face helmets when driving a car with an airbag?

if you're addicted to track days, you should invest in a helmet. I paid less than $200 for my BELL. it was worth it to not have to wear a loaner helmet in July at Summit Point. and I hope to put it to more use this spring. :twisted:
I'm trying to wait until A) i find one that fits B) SA05's do not cost an arm and a leg C) until i decide to buy and open or closed face.

And i just got a reply form the FATT, they are full :(

Gone But not forgotten
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Hey Man,

Sounds like your first event was very positive. It's a fantastic feeling, isn't it? Congrats on the good time at the track!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz