Jury Says No Patent Infringement By Google In Oracle Case

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Jury Says No Patent Infringement By Google In Oracle Case

Post by Sabre »

TechDirt
Remember back when Oracle was claiming that Google owed it billions of dollars for infringing on Oracle patents and copyrights? Yeah. Forget that. The jury just said that there's no patent infringement at all and the judge has dismissed the jury. All that's left in this phase of the case is for the judge to make a determination over the copyright issue -- and if he decides APIs cannot be covered by copyright, Oracle will have a complete and total loss. Of course, Oracle will almost certainly appeal, but this case has turned into something of a complete disaster for the company.

Groklaw has the details with "no" answers across the board:
Clerk:
Question 1: has Oracle proved by preponderance of evidence that Google infringed?
Claim 11: not proven
27: no
29: no
39: no
40: no
41: no
Question 2: not proven
1: no
20: no
Question 3: no answer, no response, not applicable.
:shock: :dropgob:

guess that acquisition of Sun wasn't so profitable... at least they got some great tech from it!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Jury Says No Patent Infringement By Google In Oracle Cas

Post by complacent »

i was surprised as well. so far as i understood it, sun was shopping themselves as "something you could sue google with".

what a shock ellison bit in hook, line and sinker...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Jury Says No Patent Infringement By Google In Oracle Cas

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Of course, Oracle will almost certainly appeal, but this case has turned into something of a complete disaster for the company.
I doubt that another court will hear the case. Oracle can file a "different" suit with new charges. But my guess is that they brought out their best guns for this so anything else will likely fail as well or be of a much smaller scale.